8/14/19


I took a few months off from writing in this blog. Several things have happened since the last time I wrote, this past January. I have been working at Pygmalion’s Art Supplies in Bloomington, Indiana. My co-workers and I have been keeping the store going, as the previous owner’s health declined, and he was in and out of the hospital. He passed away in June. John Wilson was an artist, who worked primarily in the traditional print media of woodcut and intaglio. His prints crackled with life and humor. Fluent drawing and design skill bring his work to life. There will be a show of his work, here in downtown Bloomington, next month at the Waldron Center. The opening will be Friday, September 6, from 5 - 8 p.m.

Later this month at the Waldron Center I will start teaching my fall semester Color/Design class for Ivy Tech. For the past few weeks I have been refining the curriculum.  I have added insights gained from the spring semester’s class, and from my ongoing investigation into art making and my life as an artist. The syllabus is becoming lengthy, as I add new ideas and further investigate existing ones. But I would prefer to err on the side of excessive inclusion of ideas. More opportunities to spark a flame of recognition. I hope the class will engage and energize my students, and help them bring new awareness to their art making.

Earlier this month my show of portrait paintings opened in Bloomington, at the Vault at Gallery Mortgage. The Vault is located at 121 E 6th Street, near the corner of 6th and Washington Streets downtown. The gallery is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 – 5:00, and the show will be up through September 27. There will be a second reception during the next Gallery Walk, Friday, September 6, from 5:00 – 8:00. John Labella, the branch manager of Gallery Mortgage, is a generous host, and his dedicated gallery space, the Vault, is a great place to look at art. I am pleased with the show, and if you are in town I hope you get to see it.





Photos courtesy of Nathan Foxton


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Am I Doing This?

Birthday

William Brymner, Girl with a Dog, Lower Saint Lawrence