Student of Rembrandt


Study after Portrait of a Young Woman with a Carnation, by a student of Rembrandt, likely Willem Drost. I think this is the first drawing I did in the State Art Museum on my first visit to Copenhagen.
It was nice to come across a Rembrandt-esque painting to draw from. The work looked like a mid- to late-career Rembrandt at first, in its design, but its execution was more tentative than I would expect for a work by the master. More attention was paid to refining small forms than Rembrandt would have done in 1656, when the painting was made.

In my sketch I was concerned with finding form in an atmospheric space. Making pen strokes turn into light, air, and forms, hopefully not too unlike those I am studying, and in the right places. 


Here is a link to an image of the painting:


As I look at the reproduction, the light part of the figure is separate from the dark clothes and surroundings. The different areas can seem to refer to inner and outer worlds. The work allows for quiet reflection, which I think is a nice achievement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Am I Doing This?

Birthday

William Brymner, Girl with a Dog, Lower Saint Lawrence