Philadelphia Landscapes





Here are a couple of installation photos from a show I had in Philadelphia at Smile Gallery, back in 2007. The show had a mix of portrait, figure, and landscape paintings. Many of the landscapes shown here were painted over the course of a few weeks in the spring of 2003.



One of the landscapes in the Smile show was Early Spring, Haverford College. It is one of several that I painted on the college campus, which was about a 20 minute walk from the house I grew up in in Ardmore, a suburb of Philadelphia. The scene in front of me actually looked very little like this painting, there was a dense clutter of trees and shrubs and I saw much less of the building. I liked to edit freely, and adjust the remaining elements of the design carefully until I felt that they were in the right place.



Rainy Season was one of the paintings in the show that I had painted from the front porch of the house in Ardmore. It rained a lot that spring, which kept me from going out to Haverford College.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Am I Doing This?

Birthday

William Brymner, Girl with a Dog, Lower Saint Lawrence